city silhouette

Kyiv

zoom icon

Photos author is Alexander Lytvyn

ZABOROVSKY’S GATE

Concerning with the sight:

ZABOROVSKY’S GATE

This masterpiece of Baroque architecture is located in the narrow Heorhiivskyi Lane. The gate was built in 1745, probably by Johann Gottfried Schädel (1680-1752). The architect is also known for reworking the original design of the Lavra belfry and working on the reconstruction of the belfry of St. Sophia Cathedral and the Old Academic Building of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy.

The gate was ordered by a prominent cultural figure of Mazepa’s time, Metropolitan Raphael Zaborovsky (1676–1747). It was built on the occasion of the restoration of the Kyiv metropolitanate in 1743. The event is eternalized in the symbolic imagery on the pediment – the metropolitan miter above the crossed palm branches. Zaborovsky’s Gate was the main entrance to the Metropolitan residence belonging to the complex of buildings of Sophia of Kyiv; a wide road from the Golden Gate led to it.

In the 19th century, during the active construction of the city, the gate was in Heorhiivskyi Lane, and in 1822–1823 it was completely immured and covered with earth for the height of one meter. Therefore, the composition of the building was distorted, and the magnificently decorated pediment deteriorated. But despite the ruin, the embodiment of the bizarre beauty of the Baroque attracted artists. Mykola Bazhan and Mykola Zerov dedicated their poems to the gate, and the artist Heorhii Narbut, who lived in Heorhiivskyi Lane, said ‘you may die under this gate.’ Today, thanks to the restoration of 2007-2009, Zaborovsky’s Gate may be seen in its original beauty.

Concerning with the sight: