How good do you know Kyiv?
What exactly did Mykola Zerov call ‘a Schädel's miracle’ in his poem Kyiv seen from the Left Bank?
- Assumption Cathedral
- Trinity Gate Church
- The Great Lavra belfry
- The Lavra Caves
Panorama of the Dnipro, the Bridge of Kisses
Which of the following statements about Maksym Rylskyi is true?
- He discovered the Shevchenko’s house near Maidan
- He’s the first classic of the Ukrainian literature born in Kyiv
- He prevented the detonation of St. Sophia of Kyiv
- He’s the author of the first novel about Kyiv
What was the name of Mariinskyi Park when little Oksana Dray-Khmara was walking there with her daddy, a Neoclassicist poet Mykhailo Dray-Khmara?
- It was called the same, Mariinskyi Park
- The Proletarian Garden
- The Soviet Garden
- The Park of Eternal Glory
Why did Yuri Andrukhovych call Dynamo the undefeated club of the country until 1969?
- Dynamo won the Championship of the USSR successively in 1966–1968
- The team has not conceded a single goal until then
- Yuri Andrukhovych just loves Dynamo very much
- Dynamo won the most prestigious international trophies in 1969
Where, according to Yurko Pozaiak, do alcoholic beverages taste best?
- In the Aeneas cafe in the building of the Writers' Union
- In the sub under Maidan
- At home with friends
- In a quiet yard in his dear Kyiv
Khreshchatyk and Maidan
What, according to Mykhail Semenko, Khreshchatyk does not have in the night?
- Open kiosks with cigarettes
- Traffic jams
Kneipp Club ‘Kupidon’
Where in Kyiv is it easiest to meet a living classic of literature?
- In Shevchenko Park at domino tables
- In the Ye bookstore
- In the Kneipp Club Kupidon
- In the Museum.
The Golden Gate
Could Volodymyr Sosiura see the ruins of the Golden Gate when he moved to Kyiv in 1934?
- No, because they were covered with earth
- Yes, because the archaeologists just have been excavating them
- Yes, because the ruins have long been available for viewing
- No, because a pavilion has already been built above them, which still stands today
Bulvarno-Kudriavska Street, Lviv Square
In which cafe on Bulvarno-Kudriavska Street did the Lady drink a dubious cocktail in a poem by Iryna Zhylenko?
- Minotaur and Theseus
Peizazhna Alley, Velyka Zhytomyrska Street
Valerian Pidmohylny’s novel The City tells the story of Stepan Radchenko, who
- falls in love with Kyiv when he sees the Peizazhna Alley
- leaves Kyiv to get rid of the hustle and bustle of the city
- comes from a village to Kyiv and wants to conquer the city
- glorifies Kyiv abroad as a great Ukrainian poet
Who was Raphael Zaborovsky, after whom the gate was named?
- The architect of the building
- The sponsor of the building, a Metropolitan
- A Ukrainian Hetman
- A Baroque poet
The Raven Backyard in Reitarska Street
What is depicted on the mural on the house overlooking the Raven Backyard in Reitarska Street?
- An empty cell
- A white raven among a cloud of black ones
- Clear sky
St. Sophia of Kyiv
Pavlo Zahrebelnyi's novel about St. Sophia of Kyiv is called
- The Cathedral
- The Wonder
- Down Under
- Yaroslav the Wise
Bohdan Khmelnytskyi Monument
Why did the Bohdan Khmelnytskyi monument stand for several years in the yard of the State Offices?
- There was a lack of funds for a pedestal
- The pedestal has been stolen
- The monument was banned
- Khmelnytskyi liked the yard better than the square
In the days of Ivan Nechui-Levytskyi the funicular was called
- the Mykhailivskyi Electric Cable Car
- just the funicular
- the Kyiv cable car
- a streetcar Desire
St. Volodymyr’s Monument, Volodymyr’s Hill
In her poem, Lina Kostenko asked whether it is hard for Prince Volodymyr to remain still stone when all around is in bloom. Is it hard?
- Yes, because he is allergic to flowers
- No, because he is bronze, not stone
- Yes, because Shevchenko did not like this monument
- Yes, because the cross rubs the shoulder
St. Andrew’s Church
What famous Ukrainian band is waiting for the audience in Victor Neborak’s poem The Restoration, in which Andriivskii Descent is mentioned?
- Vidoplyasov’s Wails
- Sister Vika
- Dead Rooster
Richard’s Castle, Andriivskyi Descent
Who named the "castle" on Andriivskii Descent 15 after Richard the Lionheart?
- The English king himself
- Poet Attila Mohylnyi
- Andrew the Apostle
- Writer Viktor Nekrasov
Podil, the Church of Holy Mother of God at Pyrohoshch
In which ancient literary work is the Church of Holy Mother of God at Pyrohoshch mentioned?
- The Tale of the Armament of Igor
- Virgil’s Aeneid
- Waiting for Nocturne by Victor Nedostup
- Icelandic sagas
Which of Mazepa's treasures mentioned by Geo Shkurupii can still be found on Kontraktova Square?
- The Old Academic Building of the Kyiv-Mohyla Academy
- The Epiphany Cathedral of the Brotherhood Monastery
- The Military St. Nicholas Cathedral
- Treasures buried somewhere near the subway
You’ve read all the Kyiv from Andriivskii Descent to Zvirynets!
Want to know more? Go to the Facebook and Instagram pages of Reading Kyiv